Subscribe for this article updates
Virtual Private Networking (VPN) enables device connecting private networks or servers over internet/public networks. Layer Two Tunneling Protocol (L2TP)/IP Security Protocol (IPSec) and Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) provide communications services and networking capabilities available in WinCE.
By default in Toardex WinCE Image does not include catalog item for establishing VPN communication services(L2TP/IPsec or PPTP).
- Platform builder(WinCE 6.0 or WEC 7.0 depends which image you are working on).
- Toradex WinCE platform builder Workspace and BSP.
Note: We have not tested VPN on CE5.0, WEC2013 but it should work same way.
- SYSGEN_PPP :- When this variable is set, the Dial-up Networking (RAS/PPP) Catalog item is included in the OS design.
- SYSGEN_L2TP :- When this variable is set, the L2TP/IPSec Catalog item is included in the OS design.
- SYSGEN_CERTS :- When this variable is set, the Certificates (CryptoAPI 2.0) Catalog item is included in the OS design.
- SYSGEN_CRYPTO_DSSDH :- When this variable is set, the Diffie-Hellman/DSS Provider Catalog item is included in the OS design.
- Add above mentioned item in catalog Item View, then run Sysgen command in visual studio 2008(Build -> Advance Build Command ->Sysgen(blddemo -q). It will take some time depending upon your PC speed.
- After Build succeeded, update your image with created image.
- Navigate to Control Panel->Network and Dial-up Connections -> Make new Connection. Now VPN communication features should be available.
- Configure VPN according to your server PSK(pre-shared key), server IP, username and password.
- A new connection will be available in Network and Dial-up Connections for VPN connection.
We have tested VPN with free VPN service online
- IP: 126.96.36.199
- PSK(Pre-Shared Key): vpn
- username: vpn
- password: vpn
- IP: 188.8.131.52
- username: pptp
- password: QbtRf9p
- VPN catalog item is part of core license so you don't need to buy any additional WinCE license.
- Above mention credential can be changed by service provider.
- In case you have any questions/feedback, please send us an email at email@example.com.