Article updated at 28 Oct 2017
Subscribe for this article updates
This article demonstrates how to install driver for USB to Serial adapter on Windows 8. USB to Serial adapter is available in Carrier Board Accessory Kit.
- Connect the USB to Serial adapter to the USB port of your Windows 8 PC/Laptop. Go to Device Manager and see under Ports (CoM & LPT) section, a device named "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port" must be present there. If the driver is installed properly, you will be able to use the adapter otherwise a warning icon will be present with the adapter name as shown below:
Continue reading article if driver is not installed properly.
- Now we need to install the driver from the CD you have got with USB to Serial adapter package. Insert the CD in your system, go to CD Drive > 2303 all driver > WIN8. Double click the executable file 2303 Win8 Driver Installer.exe.
An installation wizard will open as shown below:
- Click Next, read the License Agreement terms carefully. Accept the terms and click on Next.
- After installation is done, click Finish to close the installation wizard.
- Go to Device Manager, right click on USB to Serial adapter name and select "Update Driver Software...".
Following window will open:
- Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
- Click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer". A new window will appear showing compatible hardware as shown below:
- Select the driver version 18.104.22.168 [7/31/2007] and click Next. Driver will be updated.
- Now Device Manager will show the updated driver (with no warning) and adapter is ready for use.