List of Container Images for Torizon
Torizon, a software platform that uses containers as a key technology, has container images that serve different purposes. With containers, the develpment starting point is a step ahead of a scratch built solution.
Some of them are provided by Toradex:
- Torizon Debian Containers: containers that are meant to be run directly on the target hardware - the Computer on Module. You use them as a base to create your own containers, with your own application and its dependencies.
- Development Containers: development containers to assist the development. They may be meant to run on the target device, the host PC, or both.
- SDK Containers: Toradex provides SDK containers to work with IDEs. You will most likely use our IDE extensions and those containers will work under the hood. It means that the IDE abstracts their use, and you are given a development experience as close as possible to developing for a native platform.
Other containers are provided by third parties:
- Partner Demo Containers: containers provided by Toradex partners specifically for the Torizon platform.
- Third-party Containers: containers available from other sources, not necessarily related to Toradex, such as the Docker Hub ecosystem, which includes more than 100.000 images from software vendors, open-source projects, and the community. They are useful and potentially ready-to-run on Torizon.
This article lists containers and points to additional resources.
Torizon Application Containers
Toradex containers are meant to be used as the foundation for your application development.
|Image Name||Description||Learn More|
|debian||Base image to start a simple Container.||Debian Containers for Torizon|
|debian-shell||Base image with shell utilities, meant to help during development||Debian Containers for Torizon|
|wayland-base||Contains Wayland libraries without a compositor||Debian Containers for Torizon|
|wayland-base-vivante||Contains binary drivers for Vivante GPUs (i.MX 8 modules)||Debian Containers for Torizon|
|weston||Contains Wayland libraries and Weston compositor||Debian Containers for Torizon|
|weston-vivante||Contains binary drivers for Vivante GPUs (i.MX 8 modules)||Debian Containers for Torizon|
|qt5-wayland||Contains Wayland libraries and Qt5 compositor||Qt Debian Container for Torizon|
|qt5-wayland-vivante||Contains binary drivers for Vivante GPUs (i.MX 8 modules)||Qt Debian Container for Torizon|
|qt5-wayland-examples||Contains pre-built Qt5 examples for quick evaluation||Qt Debian Container for Torizon|
|qt5-wayland-examples-vivante||Contains binary drivers for Vivante GPUs (i.MX 8 modules)||Qt Debian Container for Torizon|
|chromium||Contains the Chromium browser to run web-based GUIs||Web Browser / Kiosk Mode with TorizonCore|
|cog||Contains the Cog browser to run web-based GUIs||Web Browser / Kiosk Mode with TorizonCore|
The following diagram depicts the hierarchy of the Debian containers:
Torizon SDK Containers
Toradex provides SDK containers to work with IDEs:
|Visual Studio||Visual Studio Extension For Torizon|
|Visual Studio Code||Visual Studio Code Extension for Torizon|
The IDEs will abstract their use, therefore they will be transparent to your development.
Torizon Development Tools
Development tools are provided as containers that assist the development. We provide documentation to abstract their usage, making your life easier.
|TorizonCore Builder Tool||Customization for Production Programming and Torizon OTA|
Partner Demo Containers
To leverage the flexibility of the Torizon platform, Toradex partners with software companies from different industry segments and technologies to offer you Partner Demo Containers. Those containers are ready-to-run demonstrations with out-of-the-box compatibility to both Toradex hardware and the Torizon platform.
|Partner||Demo Container||Brief Description|
|Codesys||Codesys PLC Runtime||CODESYS programmable logic controller (PLC) demo runtime on a Torizon container and how to use it|
|Crank Software||Crank Storyboard||Crank Storyboard allows you to build embedded systems optimized, rich GUI on a cross-platform IDE|
|BE.services Matrikon OPC UA Server||Matrikon OPC UA Server implementation by BE.services GmbH|
|TotalCross||TotalCross SDK||TotalCross is an easy-to-use Open Source SDK aiming the fast designing of beautiful Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs) for multiple platforms|
Those images are available on public registries, such as Docker Hub. They are maintained by third parties that are not related to Toradex. They are listed here because at some point in time we have tested them on Torizon and documented it, thus you know that they are good candidates for you to use.
|Node-RED||Node-RED||How to get started with Node-RED on Torizon|
|InfluxDB||Using Multiple Containers with TorizonCore||How to run multiple containers using InfluxDB and Grafana as examples|
|Grafana||Using Multiple Containers with TorizonCore||How to run multiple containers using InfluxDB and Grafana as examples|
Keep in mind that the third-party containers ecosystem much wider than the containers listed above. You can search on Docker Hub for Arm and Arm64 containers related to your project's needs and test them yourself.