New SKUs Without Windows EC
This article brings information about the Toradex portfolio update related to the Windows Embedded Compact EOL. It includes the list of new SKUs and highlights the recommended options for OS migration.
Toradex Portfolio Update Related to the Windows Embedded Compact EOL
Microsoft announced an End of Life (EOL) date for Windows Embedded Compact (Windows EC) of 31 May 2028.
Toradex is bound by its CLA with Microsoft and thus can only sell its products (i.e. SOM) bundled with the WEC2013 runtime licenses until this EOL date. See details in our dedicated article.
Many of Toradex's products include the Windows EC runtime license regardless of the OS that customers are developing their products on. As Windows EC EOL approaches, price variations for licensing and support may affect customers without generating additional value for their products. As one of Toradex's main goals is to keep the lowest total cost of ownership for customers, new product configurations have been created without Windows EC Licenses so customers can align their project requirements with a budget-friendly approach.
Introducing New SKUs Without Windows EC
The following table presents the PID4s for products with and without a Windows EC runtime license. For more details on PID numbers, see Toradex Product Configuration numbering.
|PID4 - With Windows EC License
|New PID4 - Without Windows EC License
|Colibri iMX6S 256MB
|Colibri iMX6S 256MB IT
|Colibri iMX6DL 512MB
|Colibri iMX6DL 512MB IT
|Colibri iMX7D 512MB
|Apalis iMX6D 512MB
|Apalis iMX6Q 1GB
|Apalis iMX6D 1GB IT
|Apalis iMX6Q 2GB IT
Validation for the new SKUs
New SKUs without WinEC will be shipped with new Toradex Easy Installer version 5.7.5. The new SKUs have not undergone any hardware changes compared to the previous versions with Windows EC, so little to no impact is expected on the end application. Anyways, Customers should validate their software in the new SKUs to ensure the application is working properly.
Customers should give specific attention to the production/factory programming setup, specially in case of using any custom scripts, as the new Toradex Easy Installer versions present differences in that regard.
Customers don't need samples of the new modules to validate the new Toradex Easy Installer version. Customers can perform the validation process using the previous modules with WinEC by following the steps below:
- Get a module with Windows EC, corresponding to the new module without Windows EC, according to the Product Portfolio Update table.
- Download the Toradex Easy Installer 5.7.5 version, following this steps to download Toradex Easy Installer.
- Load the correct version of Toradex Easy Installer previously downloaded to the module according to Loading Toradex Easy Installer.
- Select and install the Toradex Easy Installer version 5.7.5 into the module.
- Boot your module with the new Toradex Easy Installer version installed and using serial port execute commands on the U-boot to recreate the config block accordingly to Handling and Re-creating Toradex Config Block (cfgblock) on U-Boot.
- Run your production programming setup and adjust if needed.
In order to make entering Toradex Easy Installer's U-boot easier, we recommend flashing the correct version of Toradex Easy Installer on the module, rebooting and then accessing the U-boot.
Example with Colibri iMX7 (NAND)
A customer has a 00331103 Colibri iMX7D 512MB V1.1D with the serial number 10007900 with Windows EC, but does not want to wait for the new modules. They can change the serial number to match a 00811100 Colibri iMX7D 512MB V1.1A, which corresponds to the same module version without Windows EC. After installing the correct version of Toradex Easy Installer and entering the boot, the config block can be configured:
COLIBRI IMX7 TEZI # nand info
COLIBRI IMX7 TEZI # nand erase 0 ERASE_BLOCK_SIZE
COLIBRI IMX7 TEZI # cfgblock create -y 0081110010007900
The 8 first numbers used on the command corresponding to the PID8 of the module and the next 8 numbers corresponding to the serial number of the module that the customer has with Windows EC.
Example with Colibri iMX6 (eMMC)
A customer has a 00151100 Colibri iMX6DL 512MB V1.1A with the serial number 10706262 with Windows EC, but does not want to wait for the new modules. They can change the serial number to match a 00791100 Colibri iMX6DL 512MB V1.1A, which corresponds to the same module version without Windows EC. After installing the correct version of Toradex Easy Installer and entering the boot, the config block can be configured:
COLIBRI IMX6 TEZI # cfgblock create -y 0079110010706262
We recommend our customers coming from Windows EC to explore Torizon – Toradex's complete ecosystem designed for developing, monitoring, and updating embedded products.
The Torizon ecosystem features Torizon OS, a free and powerful operating system based on Linux, making it an ideal migration path for Windows CE users. It offers a customizable platform with excellent support and an active community. Torizon OS was specifically crafted for our Windows EC users. We invite you to learn more about Torizon and Start Developing with our Active Community.
Moreover, the Torizon ecosystem is integrated with the Torizon Cloud, our cloud system with essential features for product maintenance:
- Secure Remote or Offline Update: Ensure the security of your devices through remote or offline updates, providing flexibility and reliability in maintaining your embedded products.
- Device and Fleet Monitoring: Gain insights into your entire fleet of devices, enabling proactive management and real-time monitoring for optimized performance.
- Remote Access: Enjoy seamless remote access to your devices, streamlining troubleshooting and reducing downtime.
Our dedicated support team is here to assist you throughout the migration process. Feel free to contact us with any questions or for personalized guidance.