How to use UART in VCSharp
UART (Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter) is an individual (or part of an) integrated circuit used for serial communications over a computer or peripheral device serial port. It is commonly used in conjunction with communication standards such as RS-232, RS-422 or RS-485.
- Thermal printer
- GSM modem
- Biometric finger sensor
- and many more..
Refer these articles for more information about Serial ports available on Colibri modules:
On Evaluation Board v3.1A: Connect one end of the null modem cable to the serial port of the PC and the other end to upper RS232 port on connector X25.
On Iris board V1.1A: Connect one end of the null modem cable to the serial port of the PC and the other end of null modem cable to connector X14.
Use a terminal application, such as Tera Term to open a terminal connection on the PC with these settings: 9600 Baud/ 8 Data Bits/ No parity/ 1 Stop Bit.
This application demonstrates how to read and write data using COM port.
- Download Demo Source Code from here.
- Download and Install .NET Compact Framework directly to the FlashDisk of the device from here.
- Navigate to Solution Explorer in visual studio->Right Click on Solution > Properties > Devices.
- Uncheck "Deploy the Latest version of the .NET Compact Framework (including Service Packs)".
- After deploying the program to Colibri module. Go to My Device > Program Files > vcsharp_uart_demo. Double click on the vcsharp_uart_demo.exe to run the application.
Open a Tera Term window (on PC) and start a new Serial connection with the following settings:
- Baud = 9600
- Data Bits = 8
- No parity
- Stop Bit = 1
Send message from PC (work station) and you will see the number of bytes in buffer, press Read button to read message received from PC (work station).