Subscribe for this article updates
The Bootloader has a terminal Interface. To connect to the Bootloader you need:
- a Null Modem Cable
- a PC with a serial com port (RS232)
- a terminal application (e.g. HyperTerminal or TeraTerm. Some users reported problems with HyperTerminal, try TeraTerm if you have any issues getting into the bootloader with the "space"-key)
- Use the Null Modem Cable to connect the serial port of the PC with the FF_UART of the Colibri Module.
- Colibri Evaluation board: Lower RS232 connector (X25-A). Alternatively a serial to USB FTDI chip is also available on board which is primarily provided for debug port access via USB (X27). On Evaluation board v3.2, the FTDI signals RXD, TXD, RTS and CTS are connected to the jumpers JP17, JP19, JP20 and JP21 respectively. As only RXD and TXD signals are required to access the bootloader, RTS (JP20) and CTS (JP21) can be ignored. Connect pins 2-3 of all the jumpers to access those signals over USB (X27). On Evaluation board v3.1, only RXD (JP17) and TXD (JP19) signals are available over USB.
- Limestone: See Limestone debug port.
- Iris Carrier Board: See X13.
- Run the terminal application on the PC.
- Open a terminal connection on the PC:
Colibri PXA, Colibri Tegra (BSP V1.1beta2 and older): 9600 Baud/ 8 Data Bits/No parity/1 Stop Bit
Colibri Tegra (BSP V1.1beta2 and newer), Apalis Tegra: 115200 Baud/ 8 Data Bits/No parity/1 Stop Bit
- To enter the Bootloader menu, press and hold the space bar on the Terminal PC, while rebooting the Colibri Module. Keep space bar pressed until you reached the Bootloader menu.
While entering the Bootloader your terminal should display something similar to this:
Toradex Windows CE Bootloader 3.1 for Colibri Built Apr 7 2008
Press [SPACE] to enter Bootloader Menu
C) Clear Flash Registry
X) Enter CommandPrompt Mode
D) Download image to RAM now
F) Download image to FLASH now
L) Launch existing flash resident image now
Enter your selection:
Now you can make your choice by typing in one of the listed commands. In this case it is just one single letter C, X, D, F or L. The Bootloader is case insensitive and thus you can use capital or small Letters.
"C" Clear Flash Registry
Clear the Registy on the Flash and use the standard Registry in the Image
"X" Enter CommandPrompt Mode
Enter the Command Prompt. For more details see CommandPrompt Help.
"D" Download image to RAM now
The Colibri sends BOOTME messages. You can download an Image to the RAM. (Use some program like Platform builder or Colibri Loader)
"F" Download image to FLASH now
The Colibri sends BOOTME messages. You can download an Image to the FLASH and overwrite. (Use some program like Platform builder or Colibri Loader)
"L" Launch existing flash resident image now
Launch the existing Image in the Flash.